The five petals of the forget-me-not flower symbolize five things to remember that will help us find joy as we live the gospel and face the trials of life and the challenges that come.
Instead of getting caught up in life’s challenges, we can choose to find joy in them by remembering five principles that President Dieter F. Uchtdorf highlights in his talk “Forget Me Not.” He uses the five petals of the forget-me-not flower to represent these principles:
- No one is perfect. We can obtain perfection only through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. And for us, perfection won’t come in this life but in the next life. We need to be patient with ourselves as we work to overcome weaknesses.
- Some sacrifices are better than others. Not all sacrifices are worth our time. We must make sure that we are sacrificing good things only for things that are “of far greater worth.”
- We can find happiness now. Sometimes we spend too much time longing for our future, and this longing can cause us to miss out on experiencing happiness now. No matter what we are going through, we can choose to find happiness in our current circumstances.
- The gospel brings light. The gospel becomes burdensome when we don’t remember why we are choosing to live it. But when we do remember, the gospel is “a light that penetrates mortality and illuminates the way before us.”
- God loves you. Life often causes us to feel small and insignificant. However, we are always important to God. He loves us no matter what.
Remembering these five principles will help us gain the strength we need to joyfully press forward through the whirlwinds of life.
Read, watch, or listen to President Dieter F. Uchtdorf’s “Forget Me Not” and learn more about these principles.
Source: LDS General Conference
—Rachel Cannon, Mormon Insights
feature image by hans
Find more insights
Watch this video about finding happiness.
Read or watch Elder Dallin H. Oaks’s general conference talk titled “Sacrifice.”
Learn more from President Thomas S. Monson about God’s love for you and the role of love in the gospel.
Check out these picture quotes about Christ and his Atonement.
Pingback: Finding Joy: Roses, Forget-Me-Nots, and Golden Tickets - Latter-day Saint Insights